It’s that time of year again where mothers are given a small portion of the credit they deserve for all of the superwoman-esque things they do on a daily basis. Some mothers will get flowers or brunch at their favorite restaurant. Others may get a day off to go to a spa or have some alone time. This year, when my husband asked what I wanted for Mothers’ Day, I told him I wanted to do something fun with him and my two sons. When I look back on Mother’s Days past, I highly doubt I will remember that delicious pastry at the cafe we went to (ok, maybe I will because mama does love me some pastries), but I do know I will definitely remember going somewhere fun as a family. I love the Tampa area because there is always something great to do. Here are my top picks for memorable Mother’s Day activities around the bay area.
1. Showering Mom with Flowers – Most moms love flowers. I know I do, but unfortunately we have 2 furbaby cats who love to eat said flowers, therefore I exclusively receive flowers at work. But I digress. Instead of giving mom a bouquet that will only last a few days in our early summer sweltering heat, or possibly get eaten by her cats, surround her with flowers and foliage at one of our local spots like the Florida Botanical Gardens in Largo or Sunken Gardens in St. Petersburg. A stroll through these natural wonders would make for some great photos with the family of a lovely outing that any mom would cherish.
(Photo from the Florida Botanical Garden Website)
2. A Family that Runs Together – If your family is the athletic or energetic type, or you just want to be, there is a Mothers’ Day 5k in Tampa at Al Lopez Park on Sunday, May 10th. The Great Mothers Day Race is for all ages, and strollers are welcome. Events like this are great bonding experiences for families, and if your family isn’t into fitness or exercise right now, this could be a great excuse to start integrating a healthy hobby into your lifestyle that all of you can do together. Plus you would all get matching shirts… every mom’s dream!
3. Fun in the Sun – We are so lucky in the Tampa Bay area to have access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. A beach day with the family is always memorable. We like to pack a cooler of Publix subs (who doesn’t love Publix subs?) and other treats, tote our big beach umbrella and chairs, and spend a few hours on one of the quieter stretches of sand. I prefer spots like Sunset Beach or Pass-a-Grille, but it’s also fun to explore the coast and discover some other hidden gems (I’ve heard Caledesi Island is a must see).
4. Creating in the Kitchen – Give the traditional Mother’s Day Brunch idea a twist with a cooking class at the Publix Apron’s Cooking School in Tampa. On Sunday, May 10th, the theme is Mother’s Day Brunch of course, and the whole family can partake in creating this menu: smoked salmon eggs benedict; guava barbecue shrimp with manchego cheese grits; olive oil poached rack of lamb with roasted garlic parsnip puree and mint port jam; classic new orleans beignets with powdered sugar. Are you salivating yet? Some of my fondest memories from my childhood are when I helped my mom with cooking. An activity like this will surely be remembered by all, not just for the delicious food. Visit the Publix Aprons Cooking School website for fees and registration information.
5. Fancy Family Date – Sometimes it’s fun to get all dressed up and have a day or night outing. Celebrating and embracing the arts is a unique way to spend time together as a family. There are some wonderful family-friendly shows being performed this month at some of our local theaters, such as In the Heights, Ain’t Misbehavin, and the Tampa Bay Ballet’s rendition of Alice in Wonderland. Visit the Arts Tampa Bay website to find the perfect show or performance for your family.
How are you going to make memories this Mother’s Day? Share your ideas with us!