Article updated May 2021.
If I’ve learned one thing as a parent, it’s that every child is different and every parent is different. What works well for one person might not work at all for you. Diaper rash cream is one of those things. When my kids were babies I was on a quest to find the perfect miracle ointment. If I asked three different people, I’d likely get three different brand recommendations. Once I found the kind of diaper rash cream I liked best, I had a graveyard of products that I didn’t know what to do with. If you’re a mom with a bin full of cream and no bums to use them on, try one of these “other” uses for diaper rash cream.
- Rough “winter” skin-While our friends in the north might laugh, yes, this is a thing for us Floridians too.
- Hair dye stains-Petroleum-based cream can prevent hair dye from staining your skin if you’re confident enough to tackle this task yourself!
- Heat rash-May reduce redness and discomfort.
- Sunscreen-If using in a pinch, make sure it contains zinc oxide.
- Chaffing-Sweating’s inevitable, especially during our hot summer months. You can reduce irritation in those sensitive areas by applying before repeated movement. Or just before trying to get your kids settled and buckled up in the car if it’s August in Tampa.
- Minor scrapes-Scrapes are bound to happen with kids. So applying a thin layer can help protect against additional irritation.
- Bug bites-With no shortage of mosquitoes in Florida, this one’s a no-brainer when seeking relief from those pesky bites.
- Zit zapper-Tackle a clogged pore with a dot on the spot overnight.
- Chapped lips-Run out of traditional lip balm? Try a bit of this other “balm” instead.
- Minor burns-May provide a layer of protection while healing.
- Sweaty palms-If nerves have gotten the best of you, apply a thin layer to your palms to prevent them from feeling clammy.
- Eczema-You can temporarily relieve itching by applying diaper rash cream.
- Deodorant-Nothing’s worse than leaving the house and realizing you’ve forgotten this step.
- Callus softener-Can’t make it to the nail salon for a pedicure? Try covering your dry, callused feet with a layer of cream before bed. Put on a pair of socks and let the magic happen while you sleep.
- Razor burn-Reduce regret (and irritation!) from rushing thru this task.
- Sunburn relief-May aide with redness and discomfort.
- Under-eye concealer-Crazy, right?? Read how pharmacist Lindsey Elmore details the science and logistics behind this beauty hack.
Not all diaper rash creams are created equal. Be sure to read all ingredient lists carefully before applying.
Do you have alternative uses for diaper rash cream? Leave a comment and let me know.