As a Michigander by birth (that’s what residents of the state of Michigan are commonly referred to), Floridian by choice, the thing I probably miss the most about being up north is picking apples in the fall. It’s a complete experience that includes apples and cider that you really just can’t replicate without the crisp, cool weather that signals the start of the apple-picking season.
Apparently, I’m not the only one who misses this. There is an Ann Arbor-based company called The Apple Truck, that delivers fresh-picked Michigan apples and cider every fall to several southern states, including Florida! I recently had the opportunity to receive one of their 20-pound boxes of 1/2 tart and 1/2 sweet apples. Pick-up was easy! I preordered and selected from several pick-up locations around the Tampa Bay Area. I pulled up and the employees loaded the box of apples into my car.
The best part about the apples?! Eating them! If you’re looking for something quick, easy and delicious, try this recipe for Caramel Apple Dump Cake.
6 cups of fresh apples, peeled, cored and diced into small pieces
20-25 caramel candies, unwrapped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix (do not prepare)
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking pan
- Put diced apples into your prepared pan
- Place caramels evenly on top of the apples
- Sprinkle on cinnamon and add walnuts (optional)
- Top with the dry cake mix, making sure the apples are completely covered
- Drizzle the melted butter on top
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
Tip: Leftovers can be stored in the fridge as a yummy treat to enjoy again later!