Could you have imagined a month ago that you would be interested in making DIY disinfectant wipes? I use them regularly as a special needs mom, from wiping down my son’s stroller wheels to cleaning my iPhone after coming home. Fast forward to today, and now, I use them for wiping down every product we buy from the grocery store. In addition, nothing comes in our home without a good swipe of a disinfectant wipe.
(Similarly, I am also washing my hands after coming home and before each meal as per new guidelines.)
Now, I am running low and I have not yet found these handy germ zappers available in any store. What’s a mom to do? Therefore, I did some research and after seeing these recipes online, I believe I have found the answer.
Distilled Water – 2 Cups
Isopropyl alcohol (71 – 91% concentration) – 1 Cup
Dawn dish soap – 1 TBSP
Paper Towel Roll – One Roll
- Cut paper towel roll through the middle with a serrated knife, like a bread knife.
- Place half of the roll into a jar or previous Lysol/Clorox wipes box. (For instance, you can use a large Yogurt container and cut a hole in the lid to allow you to pull the paper towel out.)
- Mix water, rubbing alcohol and dish soap together in a bowl.
- Pour around the edges of the roll and soak for 2 minutes.
- Pull out the cardboard middle of the roll. Now you can pull the wipes from the middle.
- Close cover and store.
REUSABLE DIY Clorox Wipes (Disinfectant Wipes)
3 Cups Distilled Water (Similarly, you can use tap water if it’s not hard water.)
¾ Cup of Rubbing Alcohol
6 Tsp of Dawn dishwashing soap (In addition, you can adjust the amount to suit.)
10 drops Lemon Essential Oil
Glass Jar (Large with Lid)
- Cut Washcloths to suit the size you want. (For instance, a larger washcloth can do bigger jobs.)
- Fill your glass jar with cloths.
- In a bowl, mix water, rubbing alcohol, Dawn & lemon essential oil.
- Pour the mixed liquid over the cloths.
- Put a lid on the jar, ready for use. After that, use the cloths, wash and repeat.
Where To Buy
I called my local Walgreens store and they informed me several of these products are currently out of stock. However, a restock truck is scheduled to make a delivery this week. Contact your local Walgreens for in-stock details. Similarly, you can also check your local Home Depot and Lowes locations.
For those who are self-quarantined or sheltering in place, how do you find these products? For instance, a home delivery service called InstantCart may be able to help. They offer home delivery from stores like Publix, Aldi, Sprouts, CVS, Costco, Sams Club, and The Fresh Market. In addition, Sprouts may have the essential oils your need for these recipes.
If you have seen these ingredients to make your own disinfectant wipes, please post where below. In addition, if you have your own recipe to share, post it below. In conclusion, any comment you make can help a mom out.