Can you believe Christmas is almost here?! I’m all about crafts for each holiday as you can tell by most of my blog posts. My favorite crafty holiday is definitely Christmas. I have searched the internet and found some awesome ornaments to make with the kids. Christmas ornaments made by children add a special touch to your Christmas tree. I decided to compile a list of 5 adorable DIY Christmas ornaments that is easy to make with kids.
Popsicle Stick Christmas Trees
Supplies: A piece of twine or ribbon, 3 craft sticks (plain or colored), hot glue gun, scissors, yellow cardstock (plain or decorative), brown cardstock, tiny pom-poms, sparkly pipe cleaners, jingle bells, rhinestones, glitter or buttons, paint, paintbrush
- Paint 3 craft sticks using the same color and let dry. Skip this step if you purchased or already have colored craft sticks at home.
- Add two dabs of hot glue to both ends of one craft stick. Next, position the remaining two craft sticks to make a triangle.
- Cut about 6 inches of twine or ribbon for the hanger. Add a dab of hot glue to the top of the triangle (back if both sides are not painted) then add the twine or ribbon.
- Cut out stars using the yellow cardstock. I searched online for star templates then traced it on the paper.
- Cut a small square from the brown cardstock to make the tree trunk.
- Use a small dab of hot glue to attach the star to the top and the tree trunk to the bottom.
- Finally, use craft supplies to decorate the Christmas tree ornaments.
Felt Snow Globe DIY Christmas Ornaments
Supplies: Felt (colored and white), scissors, picture of child, hot glue gun, ribbon, marker or number stickers
- Cut two large circles out of felt. Cut a smaller circle inside one of the larger circles to display the picture. I used masking tape as a guide for both circles.
- Use the larger circle as a guide to cut the picture of your child.
- Add hot glue to the circle without the hole then add a picture of your child. Add dabs of hot glue to the edge of the picture then attach the remaining circle.
- Use the white felt to cut the shape of the bottom of a snow globe.
- Attach the white felt to the bottom of the circle to create your snow globe ornament.
- Use a marker to write the current year or use number stickers.
- Finally, cut about 6 inches of ribbon for the hanger. Attach to the back of the snow globe ornament at the top.
Craft Stick Reindeer Ornaments
Supplies: Craft sticks, brown paint, paintbrush, red buttons, jingle bells or rhinestones, brown pipe cleaners, googly eyes, ribbon, glue (craft glue or hot glue gun), scissors
- Start off by painting 3 craft sticks brown then let them dry.
- Add a dab of glue to the bottom of one craft stick. Add another craft stick on top to create the letter V.
- Glue the third craft stick about an inch from the top to create the reindeer.
- Glue googly eyes to each side of the craft stick.
- Next, add the red rhinestone below the eyes at the end of the craft sticks.
- Cut about 6 inches of ribbon for the hanger. Glue to the back of the craft stick that is in the middle of the “V” for the ornament.
- Finally, cut the brown pipe cleaner in half. Twist each one around the craft stick to make the antlers for the reindeer. Now you have adorable reindeer ornaments.
Puzzle Piece Picture Frames
Supplies: Craft sticks (any size), puzzle pieces, red paint, white paint (optional), a paintbrush, scissors, ribbon, glue gun or craft glue, photo of your child
- Glue together 4 craft sticks to create your frame shape. Be sure to do this ahead of time so it’s dry and ready for the kids to use. I used a hot glue gun (my favorite) so I wouldn’t have to wait too long for it to dry.
- Next, glue puzzle pieces around the frame. Use as many as you like for your frame.
- Let the puzzle pieces dry completely.
- Optional: Paint your ornament with white paint to give it a good base coat. This is helpful if your puzzle pieces are a darker color.
- After that, paint your ornament with red paint and let it dry completely.
- To hang the ornament, cut a piece of ribbon and glue it to the back of the frame.
- Lastly, glue a picture of your child to the back of the frame.
Lollipop Photo DIY Christmas Ornaments
Supplies: Paint (any color), craft glue, hot glue gun, cardboard, scissors, paintbrushes, glitter, ribbon, Mod Podge, craft sticks
- Start off by painting your craft stick any color. We did red and white stripes like a candy cane.
- Next, cut out a circle from the cardboard for the lollipop. After that, take your photo for the ornament and cut that circle a little smaller.
- Decorate your lollipop by using paint or glitter. Set that aside to dry.
- Glue your photo to the middle of the lollipop then seal it with Mod Podge.
- Glue the painted craft stick to the circle then add your ribbon bow under the photo.
- Finally, cut about 6 inches of ribbon for the hoop to hang to the back of the lollipop ornament.