Earth Day is coming up soon! It’s celebrated every year on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. Earth Day is the perfect time to teach children how to take care of our planet and make changes that will improve the environment. Since I love to craft with my boys, I try to use recycled materials whenever possible. Looking for fun ideas to celebrate this holiday? Here’s 5 easy Earth Day crafts for kids using recycled materials.
Supplies: cardboard, magazines, pencil, scissors, glue, picture of Earth (optional)
- Start by using a pencil to make a circle on the cardboard then cut it.
- Look through several old magazines and tear out pages that have lots of green and blue on them for this Earth Day collage.
- Glue the magazine pieces to the cardboard to resemble the Earth.
Supplies: Thin cardboard (yogurt box, juice box or cereal box), glue, scissors
- Cut 8 petals, center, 2 leaves, and stem from thin cardboard to create these adorable Earth Day crafts.
- Glue the leaves to the stem.
- Glue the petals and center to the stem to complete this Earth Day flower craft.
Supplies: toilet paper rolls, baby pouches lids or bottle tops, craft glue or hot glue gun with sticks, number stickers, paint, scissors
- Start by painting each toilet paper roll a different color. Let it dry.
- Glue a lid on each side of the toilet paper roll making sure there are two in the front and back.
- Use scissors to cut a small square in toilet paper roll to make a driver’s seat.
- Use number stickers to decorate your car to complete this Earth Day project.
Supplies: Thin cardboard (cereal box or snack box), scissors, black marker, bottle tops
- Cut the cardboard into a 6” square.
- Use a black marker to draw the grids on the cardboard for the game.
- Use a black marker to draw an X on 5 bottle tops and an O on the other 5 bottle tops.
Supplies: toilet paper roll, craft glue, glitter Christmas ornament, gems, markers, glitter, stickers, cardstock, hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Use a hot glue gun to attach the ornament to the toilet paper roll. Set aside to dry.
- Cut and glue your cardstock paper around the toilet paper roll to completely cover it.
- Finally, decorate the covered toilet paper roll with gems, stickers, glitter or markers to complete these adorable Earth Day crafts.